Friday, November 03, 2006

My friend, Princess Atta!

Carter loves tv. A part of me admits this with a tinge of embarassment, but I'll save that for another entry. He actually loves dvds and videos since we don't pay for tv here. Lately he's been hooked on his two new movies. We bought A Bugs Life and Toy Story at a flea market in the city center and he's been in love with them since we first poppped them into the VHS player.

He's learned some of the characters' names and will point them out when they're on screen. He loves to stomp around the house like a grasshopper, bent over at the waist with his hands on his hips and a half smile on his face. It's sweet because he doesn't really seem to get that the grasshoppers aren't the nice ones. He just likes the way they walk. He'll stomp around and say, "Uh-oh, grasshopper's comin'!"

A few days ago he started including Princess Atta in everything we were doing that day. He told me that Princess Atta was going on the train with him when we built one out of couch cushions. She was coming with him and Dot to Flick's house (Flick, by the way, is Princess Atta's love interest in the movie; to Carter they're brother and sister.). He said she needed an airplane ticket when we went to the back yard to get on the "airplane" to go see Daddy at school. He shows me how he "crashes," (wrestles) with her on the couch. Erik got him ready for bed and was ready to lay down and read him a book. He told Erik to leave because Princess Atta was going to read with him. Two days ago he announced that he was going upstairs to talk to his friends Princess Atta and Flick. He wants Princess Atta to sleep when he takes a nap and when he wakes he immediately reminds me that she's awake too.

This morning he wouldn't eat his oatmeal so I gave him a big bite and told him it was a grasshopper size bite. "No, Mommy. Dot-sized bite."

A few nights ago after he'd gone to bed I heard him talking to himself. I went to the bottom of the stairs to hear better and heard him in his own Carter-speak saying "To infinity and beyoooond!"

All of these little examples to say: I love two year olds' imaginations. I love our Carter.

8 comments:

Jess said...

I was laughing so hard, I cried! Big surprise, right!? :)

E. Twist said...

He's just one big ball of precious.

Love this entry, Honey.

amelia said...

Welcome to blogging land! I am looking forward to reading more.

amelia said...

Hmmm...I made a post but it disappeared....

I originally said, Welcome to blogging land and I look forward to reading more. Big hugs to you!

Abu Daoud said...

Wonderful!

Our son likes A Bug's Life too, though he calls it "Funny Bugs." Another recent favvorite is Polar Express, which he calls "Boy on a Train."

He likes to stomp through the house shouting "Fiona!" like Shrek does in the castle at the end of Shrek II.

Imaginiation is a great thing :-)

We miss you guys.

Anonymous said...

Wow....this is great...it helps connect to you from so far away! Please keep writing!

Anonymous said...

What a great Blog! To infinity and beyond!! Thanks for doing this!! WOW! Helps to connect to you from so far away...

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, I adore that story and Carter. I have never heard something more funny or more adorable than that....I wish I was Princess Atta...I would love to be his imaginary friend...