Sunday, November 26, 2006

From Thanksgiving to Christmas

Yesterday was the big (90+ people!) Thanksgiving meal we organized and hosted at Wycliffe. It was GREAT. Somewhere we have a photo of Erik and the other guys carving one of the three 30 pound (!) turkeys we had. The kitchen staff at Wycliffe cooked the birds for us which was so helpful, because one of them alone was about the size of our fridge and in no way would have fit in our oven. The rest of the meal was potluck and we had an amazing spread with all of the traditional trimmings, including stuffing, sweet potatoes and pumpkin pie. ALL of the food was eaten, save for part of one turkey that we delivered to a homeless shelter in town. Once I sift through our pictures I'll post some.

While all of the boys in my house are asleep I've just put the lights on our precious little Christmas tree. It smells AWESOME, even though Erik says he can't smell it. Here's the thing about our Christmas tree lights, which I'd forgotten since putting them on last year: in the States, the lights on a string have a plug on one end that goes into the outlet and the other has an inverted plug for, well, you know what I'm saying. Our lights here have a plug on one end and the string of lights is like a loop. The string begins and ends with the plug and there's no inverted plug to connect another string to, so you have to separate the loop and wrap it around the tree. Huge pain in the neck, especially since I didn't distribute the lights properly and had to unwrap and start over. Things are definitely easier in the States.

I hear Mason awake from his nap; both the boys have chest colds and have been under the weather the past few days. Poor little boys were so good yesterday for the whole time at the party despite not feeling well at all. Pray for them to resume their heathy and happy selves.

6 comments:

E. Twist said...

I didn't smell the tree (for whatever reason) yesterday, but I do today. It is wonderful.

Unknown said...

Allison, it was an AWESOME meal. Thanks for all your hard work in arranging everything. I didn't need to eat again til midnight on Saturday (pretty rare for a guy my size!!!!!)

allison said...

Sean, thanks for your post and note through our mail slot! Glad you had a nice time and that you had plenty to eat!!!

Kami Huyse said...

I just found your blog, and had fun looking at all of the comparison pics. Carter definately had more hair. What I remeber the most about him was his wild hair when he was little.

allison said...

Kami, Thanks for your comment! What a lovely photo of you! I visited your blog and it looks great. Sure miss you.

Anonymous said...

Hey Allison,

I enjoyed seeing the comparison pics of the boys. Kami's right, Carter did seem to have more hair. And I'm so jealuos that you have tree that actually makes your house smell like Christmas. I have to light candles from Yankee Candle Factory and while it is a pleasant substitution, it doesn't come anywhere near the real thing.

Maybe I should get a blog too, I feel left out! :-)